Sample Case



1How much should I pay the real estate agent?
Agent charges a letting fee (eg.1 week's rent) and a management fee based on a percentage of the gross weekly rental and other fees set out in the agreement. This could include advertising costs, preparing the tenancy agreement and representing you at the Tribunal in the event of a dispute.
2Do I need to pay tax on rental income?
All landlords could be liable to pay tax on their rental income.
3How long will it take to find a tenant for my property?
This is a common question and unfortunately there is no one answer. However, we can tell you that properties that are better presented, more professionally marketed, priced according to market conditions and represented by a professional agent, will be rented quickly.
4What do I do when the tenant doesn't pay?
If the tenant falls more than 7 days behind in the rent, the landlord or landlord’s agent can give them the notice to remedy breach, giving them 7 days to pay the outstanding amount. If the tenant pays the rent within the time frame their tenancy agreement will continue. Keep in mind, any new rent may also be due during the breach process. If the tenant doesn't pay the rent arrears, the landlord or landlord’s agent can give them a Notice to leave, giving them a minimum of 7 days to move out. The tenant then needs to move out within the time frame, or pay the rent and ask if they can stay (in writing). It is the landlord or landlord’s agent decision whether the tenant can stay. If they agree to let the tenant stay, this agreement should be given in writing.
5What’s the type of urgent repairs that the landlord agrees to pay the tenant?
The landlord agrees to pay any reasonable costs (not exceeding $1,000), within 14 days after receiving written notice from the tenant. Urgent repairs are: a burst water service, an appliance, fitting or fixture that uses water or is used to supply water that is broken or not functioning properly, so that a substantial amount of water is wasted. a blocked or broken lavatory system, a serious roof leak, a gas leak, a dangerous electrical fault, flooding or serious flood damage, serious storm, fire or impact damage, a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the property, a failure or breakdown of any essential service on the residential premises for hot water, cooking, heating, cooling or laundering, any fault or damage that causes the premises to be unsafe or insecure.
6What do I do if I want to sell my property?
The landlord needs to give the tenant written notice that the landlord intends to sell the residential premises, at least 14 days before premises are made available for inspection by potential purchasers.
7Do I need landlord’s insurance?
As with any insurance policy, it is not compulsory to have landlord insurance on your property. However, as property specialists, it’s our expert recommendation that every investment property owner has a specific landlord insurance policy in place for their property. Landlord Insurance protects you in the event of a tenant not paying rent, departing the property early or damaging the property. It also includes public liability and limited cover for contents (e.g. floor coverings, curtains).


1I need to find a place to rent. What should I do first?
Before you start looking for your new home it's a good idea to consider the budget. Take into account that, when you first move in, you will need to pay 2 weeks rent in advance and 4 weeks rent for the bond.
2Periodic or fixed term agreements?
Agreements can be periodic or for a fixed term.
A fixed term agreement is for a fixed period (such as for 6 or 12 months or other agreed period) and specifies a start date and a set an end date. If a fixed term agreement has not terminated before or at the end of the fixed term, the agreement continues as a periodic tenancy agreement.
A periodic agreement can continue indefinitely (it has a starting date but no specified end date). It goes on recurring automatically until something is done by the parties to bring it to an end.
3What is a condition report?
The condition report records the condition of the premises. The landlord or landlord’s agent must record the condition of property and give two copies of the report to the tenant. Tenant needs to complete condition report and return one of them to the landlord or landlord’s agent within 7 days.
4What is a routine inspection?
Routine inspections are carried out every 3 months during the tenancy. Landlord and property manager want to make sure that the property is being looked after and maintained in a good condition, and they will be looking for any maintenance issues.
5What are the different ways to pay my rent?
The landlord or landlord’s agent will provide the tenant at least one means to pay rent. The payment methods include electronic payments, direct debit, bank cheques or money orders. Cash payments are generally not accepted, as this can create a security risk.
6Can I have animals in my rented house?
If you have a pet or intend to get one, you should make sure your landlord agrees to this before you rent the property. Landlords can legally refuse to rent you property if you have a pet. If the landlord does agree, you should make sure the tenancy agreement states that you are allowed to keep a pet or that the ‘no pets’ clause on the printed lease is crossed out.
7Can I transfer of tenancy or sub-letting the property?
A tenant may ask permission to sub-let or transfer part of the premises or the whole tenancy. This cannot be done without written permission. 
8Can I end my tenancy early?
When you sign a fixed term tenancy agreement you are committing to stay for the full term. If your circumstances change and you want to move out before the end of the fixed term there are potential costs involved.

Sample Case


It pays to have a professional property manager to care for your property and guide you through the legislation and compliance rules to protect you... Read more

Alice Boyd

Where do I stand as a landlord if the tenant damages the property?

This is not a simple question to answer. Yes, we would like to make the tenant accountable for every scuff mark and chip when vacating the property, but the reality is there are legislated ‘grey area’ guidelines that are taken into consideration...Read more

Jennifer Lee


Routine inspections are a vital part of our management service to landlords to ensure that the property is being cared for by the tenant/s, is presented in a well-maintained condition and free from potential risk causing injury to the tenant/s or visitors. ...Read more

Brandon Ross

Some landlords fearful of increasing the rent

As your managing agent it is our duty of care to ensure that we are maximising your income and optimising capital growth. Our team are trained and skilled in working for the best interests of our client’s ‘landlords’...Read more

Doris Flores

FIRES IN THE HOME Are you insured?

There are (on average) 3800 house fires a year causing property damage in excess of $97 million....Read more

Thomas McKenzie